Semarang Merchant Marine Polytechnic (Politeknik Ilmu Pelayaran Semarang) is one of the state education institution administered under the Human Resources Development Agency Ministry of Transportation. It undertakes education and training to the potential young people graduates from Senior High School to be Merchant Marine Officer and Port & Shipping Management Officers. Since 2000, the Semarang Merchant Marine Polytechnic has been listed in the “White List” of International maritime Organization (IMO)
Considering to the quality increase in education program, teaching staff, graduates, supporting installation and facilities, there was an institutional change in 1951, which finally transformed the name of the school to be Semarang Merchant Marine Polytechnic or Politeknik Ilmu Pelayaran (PIP) Semarang in 1999. PIP has been historically changed its name :
1. 1951 − 1955 Sekolah Pelayaran Semarang (SPS), it was 3 years education program.
2. 1955 − 1975 Sekolah Pelayaran Menengah (SPM) Semarang, it was 3 years education program.
3. 1974 − 1979 Pendidikan Perwira Pelayaran Besar (P3B) Semarang, it was 2,5 years education program.
4. 1979 − 1995 Balai Pendidikan dan Latihan Pelayaran (BPLP/ Merchant Marine Academy, it was a stratum (that was equal with Diploma III) and was 3 years program. In 1995 the institution enhanced the program to be Diploma IV, which was 4 years education program.
5. 1999 − now, based on the Decree of Minister of Communication No. 28, the year of 2010 on PIP Semarang Organization and working management structure, the government officially declared the establishment of Politeknik Ilmu Pelayaran Semarang (Semarang Merchant Marine Polytechnic). The program was equal with Diploma IV program, which covered 4 years education program.
SEMARANG MERCHANT MARINE POLYTECHNIC
POLITEKNIK ILMU PELAYARAN
Jl. Singosari 2A Semarang